This guide was originally written for enotes.com development setup
The following are the steps for downloading and running Microsoft Edge Legacy on VirtualBox.
Step 1 — Download Virtual Box
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads, and download the appropriate platform package.
Step 2 — Download Virtual Machine
modern.ie has kindly provided us with images from IE8 to MSEdge. You can download these images at
- Select the MSEdge option under Virtual Machine.
- Select VirtualBox under Platform.
- Click Download .ZIP.
Step 3 — Extracting ZIP (optional)
The MSEdge virtual machine comes compressed inside a 7-zip file. Mac Archiver may not be able to extract this file. You may download The Unarchiver in order to extract the image.
Step 4 — Installing the Virtual Machine
- Double click on the .ova file.
- Once VirtualBox is launched update the RAM setting to at least 1GB if you can afford it.
- (optional) Create a snapshot of the Virtual Machine. This will help when the 90 days of trial expires.
Step 5 — Booting up
- Select the MSEdge Virtual Machine.
- Click Start.
- Wait for Windows to boot.
- Once started, install Guest Additions
- Click Devices on the toolbar menu.
- Select Install Guest Additions.
- You may have to restart the Virtual Machine.
Step 6 —
- Once started, you can use MSEdge to load up the website in question.
- MSEdge’s developer tools is called F12.